Performed by: Mari Ishiwata Written by: Susanne Irene Fjørtoft Photo documentation: Clarissa Cestari Location: WIR-gallery, Berlin Date: 25.10.09
Mari Ishiwata wrote:
- 1. Imagine I am one country, and you are another.
- 2. Imagine we have the magic to change the world by daily interpersonal/international communication.
- 3. Imagine this is not fantasy but in fact a reality.
- 4. If I try to tell you who I am, can you please tell me who you are?
Susanne Irene Fjørtoft’s reply:
- 1 – Enter the space, carry these objects with you on a tray: Broad paintbrush, thinner paintbrush, bucket of red paint, bucket of blue paint, big glass of water, red thread, letter with three-step-guide to become Norwegian
- 2 – Put down the tray beside the place you will be standing. Pick up the red thread, the bucket of red paint and the big brush. Stand up and face the audience. Let them see this image of you with these objects before you continue.
- 3 – Walk through the audience down to the opposite wall.
- 4 – Paint a big, red circle. Fill the circle with color by painting in a spiraling movement inwards to the center.
- 5 – Fasten the string in the center of the red circle.
- 6 – Walk backwards. Carry the brush and the bucket in one hand and stretch the string with the other. Stop beside the tray and put down the brush and the bucket. Pick up the big glass of water (have in mind to keep the thread as straight as possible).
- 7 – Face the audience. Let them see this image of you holding the string in front of your face and the glass of water.
- 8 – Put the end of the thread in your mouth and swallow it with water as you would swallow a pill. Drink more water if you need. Open your mouth so that it is visible that the string goes down into your throat.
- 9 – Put down the glass of water. Pick up the letter with the three-step-guide to become Norwegian.
- 10 – Open and read the letter.
- 11 – Proceed with doing the ritual described in the letter.
STEP ONE: PAINT YOUR ARMPITS RED
STEP TWO: PAINT A VERTICAL BLUE LINE FROM YOUR CHIN DOWN AND A HORIZONTAL BLUE LINE FROM FINGERTIP TO FINGERTIP ACROSS YOUR CHEST
STEP THREE: TAP YOUR HEAD WITH YOUR LEFT HAND, MAKE A CIRCULAR MOVEMENT ON YOUR BELLY WITH YOUR RIGHT HAND AND SING A NORWEGIAN SONG OR A SONG ABOUT NORWAY.
- 12 – While singing, take small steps backwards so the string is slowly pulled back up out of your throat. When the thread falls to the floor you finish the song.
- 13 – Rest your eyes on the fallen thread before you collect the objects and the tray and you leave the space.
The Republic of Ishiwata Biennale webpage